The Bow Tie Project Week One

Posted on Jan 7, 2017

Pastel Flower Bow Tie

This week was a lot of fun. I perfected my pattern, and found some things that I need to adjust. I also looked into the other shapes of bowties besides the traditional Butterfly. This is the first fabric that Sarah bought me to make a tie out of, and I love it.

I like the watercolor look of the fabric. It might have be a better choice for spring time, but given that the weather has sucked it was nice to add a little bit of spring to my neck.

The most important lesson of the week was the amount of interfacing needed. For this tie I put interfacing on all four pieces of the tie before sewing it together. This made the tie nice and stiff but also made it really hard to turn. In the future I will put the interfacing on only one half of each side.

I also went to The Loopy Ewe and bought a bunch of fun fabric. Since I use a fat quarter for each bow tie, it is fun to pick out fabrics and none of them break the bank so I bought a lot.

With today’s purchases I have twenty weeks of bow tie fabric picked out. Of course I will probably end up with more than enough fabric and so many bow ties!!!

Less fabric is used to make a bow tie (37 inches), compared to traditional ties (57 inches).

Since I also want to gain some bow ties from this experience I will be only opening up twenty-six of the fifty-two ties for people. So get in now or miss out. Fill out the form

Wish me luck and check back every week for the newest bowtie.

Don’t forget that you can support my writing efforts on Patreon